Energy flows layer

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #455 by Ninalana
Energy flows layer was created by Ninalana
Hello,
First of all thanks for this forum its quite helpful,
I am willing to incorporate different layers in my model such as material flows (mass flows), substance flows of different elements, and energy flows layers. I was wondering for the energy flows is there a way to show flows of energy only on the energy layer? because when you build the model you need to add all the flows including those related to energy flows. For instance, if I am on the material or good/ mass flows layer it doesnt make sense to me to have also the energy flows showing and to be calculated (Tons and jouls are different quantities or units). Some flows are common between mass and energy (like energy content in materials coming into a system) no problem to show in all layers, while for instance the electricity or heat are not unless there is a way.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best Regards,

NinaLana
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Ninalana.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #456 by adminST
Replied by adminST on topic Energy flows layer
Yes, this is possible by using the implemented feature to hide flows with value zero:

(1) Generate a model that contains all mass and energy flows.
(2) On the layer of goods, set the mass of pure energy flows (e.g. electrical current, heat, ...) to zero.
(3) On the layer of energy, set the energy of flows with zero energy content (e.g. inert material) to zero.
(4) Set the option "Hide flows with avarage value zero" under "Extras > Options > Processes & Flows.

Find attached an example. When you switch between the layer of goods and the layer of energy, you will notice that zero flows are hidden. Thus, on the layer of goods only mass flows are displayed and on the layer of energy only energy flows are displayed.

I hope this is useful for you.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by adminST.

More
3 years 5 months ago #457 by Ninalana
Replied by Ninalana on topic Energy flows layer
Thank you for your prompt response,
Indeed if there was one process involved what you have stated works well. However, I have a bit more complicated model involving multiple processes, I am attaching a simplified one of my model. I want to try to hide the electricity, heat, and heat lost in mass layer but at the same time I want to keep the biogas to be calculated in tons, if the electricity, heat etc are put zero this will give biogas a zero value and I don't want that I just want to show the mass flows up to biogas and not after but I think it doesnt work if its connected to a process it only works if biogas was a export flow..

Thank you very much for your help and support

Ninalana
Attachments:

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #458 by adminST
Replied by adminST on topic Energy flows layer
The problem is that you have to keep in mind to close mass (and energy) balances. So, in your model 2 things are missing:
(1) Biogas has a mass that cannot disappear in process CHP. So, there must be an output flow named e.g. offgas.
(2) Digestate has also a mass that cannot disappear in process 2. So, either you add an output flow or a stock to process 2.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by adminST.

More
3 years 5 months ago #459 by Ninalana
Replied by Ninalana on topic Energy flows layer
Thank you for your answer, yes that would work to add an additional flow coming out of CHP as offgas (a general output flow though only energy comes out of CHP that's why I was reluctant to continue the flow) as you have mentioned which would be the same amount of bigoas coming in to complete the balance and set the other flows zero for mass (to hide them) and a value in energy (electricity, heat. heat lost...) .
For the digestate its not an issue I didn't model it correctly in the example model I attached.

thank you very much for your help and support.

NL

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds